As the weather starts to get colder, it is a sign for Navigators that Open Enrollment is just around the corner. We are taking the valuable lessons learned last year and organizing for a successful Enrollment in 2015.
If you currently have a Marketplace plan or you are interested in a plan for 2015, here are some key dates you should know:
• November 15, 2014 - Open Enrollment begins. Apply for, keep, or change your coverage.
• December 15, 2014 - Enroll by the 15th if you want new coverage that begins on January 1, 2015. If your plan is changing or you want to change plans, enroll by the 15th to avoid a lapse in coverage.
• December 31, 2014 - Coverage ends for 2014 plans. Coverage for 2015 plans can start as soon as January 1st.
• February 15, 2015 - This is the last day you can apply for 2015 coverage before the end of Open Enrollment.
Since none of us have filed our 2014 taxes, it may be difficult to remember the Individual Responsibility Payment for qualifying people who do not have health insurance coverage. This “fee” or “fine” will increase for the 2015 tax year. For your 2015 taxes, the penalty will be 2% of your income or $325 per adult/$162.50 per child, whichever is more. Many Hoosiers will not be responsible for paying this fee even if they don’t have a Qualified Health Plan (QHP), but you can find out more by checking here.
As you are deciding which date will work best for you to enroll in a Marketplace plan, keep in mind what dates the coverage will start. During Open Enrollment, if you enroll:
- · Between the 1st and 15th days of the month, your coverage starts the first day of the next month.
- · Between the 16th and the last day of the month, your coverage starts the first day of the second following month. So if you enroll on March 16, your coverage starts on May 1.
You can apply four ways: online, by phone, by mail, or in-person with the help of a trained assistor or Navigator. Meridian Health Services has licensed Navigators who are happy to help. You can call Meridian to set up an appointment with a Navigator by calling (765) 288-1928 or email us at email@example.com. We currently have Navigators in the following Indiana counties: Delaware, Wayne, Jay, Henry, Randolph, Rush, and Union. If you do not live in these counties but still need assistance, you can visit http://www.healthcare.gov to find a list of Navigators near you. You can also call the Health Insurance Marketplace Call Center at 1-800-318-2596, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. TTY users should call 1-855-889-4325.